Ryan Stevens, MPS, LAT,ATC, CSCS
Dynamic Leader and educator w/ Sports Medicine, Rehabilitation, Fitness, & Wellness Expertise
Current Position: Manager of Athletic Training, Physical Therapy, Performance Fitness – RWJBarnabas Health (RWJUH Somerset / Hamilton Campuses)
My educational background:
- Pennsylvania State University, University Park: Bachelor of Science – Kinesiology, Athletic Training Option (Class of 2003)
- State University of New York at New Paltz: Masters of Professional Studies – Humanistic/Multicultural Education (Class of 2008)
- BOC Certified Athletic Trainer
- New Jersey State and Pennsylvania State License for Athletic Training
- NSCA Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialist
- National Provider ID
- Preceptor for multiple CAATE programs (Athletic Training Educational Programs)
- BLS For Healthcare Provider (American Heart)
- Dale Carnegie Training School: “Leadership Training for Managers”, “Sales Training”, and “Strictly Business: DC Immersion Course”
- Completed via Simon Sinek, Inc “Why Discovery Training”
- NFBA-trained via Speaker School, Social Media Strategy, and Fitness Business Master Class
- Trained in / practice principles of a “High Reliability Organization”
- Additional clinical specializations and advanced training: Functional Movement Screen, Selective Functional Movement Assessment, Training for Warriors (Level 1), Kinesiotaping (Levels 1-3), Biomechanical/Gait Assessment
Professional Portfolio: Current Affiliation – RWJBarnabas Health (RWJ Somerset and RWJ Hamilton)
- Manage all aspects of outreach athletic training programs at 2 hospital campuses
- Manage the Performance Fitness service line
- Oversee operations, process improvement, and marketing/relationships for four physical therapy clinics
- Advanced Leadership Training: Masters-level education & professional experience in leadership, organizational goal setting, facilitating large & small group processes, & conflict resolution/mediation. Focus on promoting active & cooperative learning while demonstrating leadership for innovation & change with emphasis on cooperative, inclusive, positive group dynamics.
- Marketing / Promotions / Community Education: Highly-regarded dynamic public speaker and community educator; organized/coordinated and strategically planned community programs for other medical professionals, athletes, parents of athletes, coaches, and physical educators; experience with webpage design (Wix and WordPress), electronic marking (Constant Contact, social media, blogging) and positive outcomes with public brand promotion and representation via community outreach events. Founder of Personal development/sports medicine/fitness blog www.SportsMedForTheMasses.com,
- Sports Medicine expertise: Highly proficient with excellent outcomes in sports medicine & orthopedic healthcare (injury prevention, evaluation, management, physical rehabilitation), first aid, & emergency medicine.
- Fitness expertise: Functional movement & fitness assessment, corrective exercise prescription, physical performance training, & performance/wellness coaching in group & one-on-one settings
- Additional Certs: Functional Movement Screen, Selective Functional Movement Assessment, Kinesiotaping, Training for Warriors Level 1, Dale Carnegie Leadership Training
My Professional Purpose (i.e. my “why”:
“I embrace challenge and growth so I can help others recognize and achieve their potential.”
My Professional Mission Statement:
“While demonstrating empathetic leadership, reflective and critical thinking, positivity, and open-mindedness, I maintain responsible independence and effective interdependence as a proactive leader of the workplace team.”
My Professional Philosophy:
- As a sports medicine, allied healthcare, and fitness expert, my primary career objective is to make a powerful positive impact via a leadership position in which I will provide effective, comprehensive health, fitness, and wellness oversight and education while working interdependently with those around me in my organization.
- I am dependable when called upon, for I am prepared to take on any responsibilities and obligations placed upon me.
- I value my leadership skills, and utilize them to help empower those around me.
- I look at situations through the eyes of others, for it is imperative to first seek to understand before trying to be understood. The experience of others is an excellent resource for me, hence I value being inquisitive, accepting suggestions, and learning from others.
- With a growth-mindset, I strive for continuous improvement, both personally and as a unit with those whom I work with, while maximizing my strengths and working hard on any areas which need improvement.
- When presented with the problems I face on a daily basis, I do what is best given the dynamics of the situation, keeping in mind both short- and long-term results. Through attention to detail and objectivity, I have a clearly-articulated reason for all decisions I make.
- It is important to have a good sense of humor and maintain a positive mindset, for laughter and a smile can be quite the powerful tool in many situations.
Snapshot of previous professional experience:
- Supervised team of 28 full time Athletic Trainers & 4 full time Performance Coaches across 14 site locations for physician-owned hospital system
- Successfully developed the framework, policies, & care standards for nine start-up outreach athletic training programs in NY & NJ (5 high schools, 3 middle schools, 1 college)
- Vice president & co-founder of a community-focused fitness center
- Co-developed a satellite outpatient rehabilitation clinic
Where I’ve worked:
- RWJBarnabas Health (RWJUH Somerset/Hamilton Campuses): Manager of Athletic Training, Physical Therapy, and Fitness (April 2015 – Present)
- Coordinated Health: Athletic Training and Human Performance Supervisor (Oct 2015-March 2016)
- Ryan Stevens Consulting: Independent athletic training coverage, personal fitness and team performance coaching, consulting (July 2015-Sept 2015)
- O-PA! Performance Academy: Vice President, Head Performance Specialist (Sept 2014-June, 2015)
- Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital Somerset: Athletic Trainer/Performance Coach (Feb 2010-Sept 2014)
- Millbrook Orthopedic and Sports Physical Therapy: Athletic Trainer, School Outreach Program Coordinator, Marketing Assistant (Aug 2006-Feb 2010)
- The Culinary Institute of America: Athletic Trainer (Sept 2007-Jan 2010)
- The State University of New York at New Paltz: Assistant Athletic Trainer (Aug 2005-May 2006)
- Ignite Fitness: Personal Fitness Trainer (Aug 2005-Jul 2006)
- Sports Physical Therapy of NY: Head Athletic Trainer – West Genesee High School (Mar-Jun 2005)
- Syracuse University: Graduate Assistant Athletic Trainer (Jan 2004-Mar 2005)
- Chicago Bears: Athletic Training Intern (Jul-Sept 2003)
- Woodward Action Sports Camp: Athletic Training Intern (June 2003)
- Juniata College: Student Athletic Trainer (Aug-Nov 2002)
- Harrisburg Senators Minor League Baseball Club: Intern – Athletic Training/Front Office (May-Aug 2001)
- Penn State University: Student Athletic Trainer –Varsity Athletic Teams, Sports Camps (1999-2003)