Ryan Stevens, MPS, LAT,ATC, CSCS
Dynamic Leader w/ Sports Medicine, Rehabilitation, Fitness, & Wellness Expertise
Current Position: Clinical Supervisor of Athletic Training & Wellness, Robert Wood Johnson Barnabas Health (RWJUH Somerset Campus)
My educational background:
- Pennsylvania State University, University Park: Bachelor of Science – Kinesiology, Athletic Training Option (Class of 2003)
- State University of New York at New Paltz: Masters of Professional Studies – Humanistic/Multicultural Education (Class of 2008)
- NATABOC Certified Athletic Trainer
- NSCA Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialist
- National Provider ID
- New Jersey State and Pennsylvania State License for Athletic Training
- Approved Clinical Instructor in Athletic Training
- BLS For Healthcare Provider (American Heart)
- Additional clinical specializations and advanced training: Functional Movement Screen, Selective Functional Movement Assessment, Training for Warriors (Level 1), Kinesiotaping (Levels 1-3), Biomechanical/Gait Assessment
- Dale Carnegie Training School: “Leadership Training for Managers” and “Strictly Business: DC Immersion Course”
- NFBA-trained via Speaker School & Social Media Strategy
My Professional Purpose:
“I embrace opportunities to challenge and grow myself in order to better empower others to challenge and grow themselves.”
My Professional Mission Statement:
“While demonstrating empathetic leadership, reflective and critical thinking, positivity, and open-mindedness, I maintain responsible independence and effective interdependence as a proactive leader of the workplace team.”
- Sports Medicine, Healthcare, Sports/Human Performance, Fitness/Wellness Coaching: 14+ years of dynamic experience working with middle school through adult athletes (novice through professional) and active persons of all ability levels. Highly knowledgeable with excellent outcomes in sports medicine and orthopedic healthcare, first aid, and emergency medicine. Expertise in functional fitness assessment, corrective exercise prescription, physical performance training, and wellness coaching in group and one-on-one settings
- Leadership: Currently supervise 3 service lines at the Somerset Campus of RWJBarnabas Health (Outreach Athletic Training, Performance Fitness, Medical Wellness). Managed day-to-day operations and supervised 32 FTEs (Athletic Trainers, Performance Coaches) covering 14 locations for Coordinated Health. Led team of full-, part-time, and independent contractor employees through the start-up phase of a new business while maintaining a positive and growth-centered atmosphere; advanced Leadership Training and Masters-level education and professional experience in organizational goal setting, facilitating large and small group processes, and conflict resolution/mediation while promoting active and cooperative learning; demonstrate leadership for innovation and change while promoting cooperative, inclusive, positive group dynamics.
- Program Development: Experience with the development and growth of outreach Athletic Training and Fitness programs at 2 large hospital systems. Led all aspects of sports performance, fitness, and community educational programming for start-up community fitness center; successfully developed framework, policies, and coverage for eight sports medicine programs (four high schools, three middle schools, one college) in entities with no previous athletic training services; co-developed a satellite outpatient rehabilitation clinic
- Outreach / Community Education: Highly-regarded dynamic public speaker and community educator; organized/coordinated and strategically planned community programs for other medical professionals, athletes, parents of athletes, coaches, and physical educators; experience with webpage design (Wix and WordPress), electronic marking (Constant Contact, social media, blogging) and positive outcomes with public brand promotion and representation via community outreach events
My Professional Philosophy:
- As a sports medicine, allied healthcare, and fitness expert, my primary career objective is to make a powerful positive impact via a leadership position in which I will provide effective, comprehensive health, fitness, and wellness oversight and education while working interdependently with those around me in my organization.
- I am dependable when called upon, for I am prepared to take on any responsibilities and obligations placed upon me.
- I value my leadership skills, and utilize them to help empower those around me.
- I look at situations through the eyes of others, for it is imperative to first seek to understand before trying to be understood. The experience of others is an excellent resource for me, hence I value being inquisitive, accepting suggestions, and learning from others.
- With a growth-mindset, I strive for continuous improvement, both personally and as a unit with those whom I work with, while maximizing my strengths and working hard on any areas which need improvement.
- When presented with the problems I face on a daily basis, I do what is best given the dynamics of the situation, keeping in mind both short- and long-term results. Through attention to detail and objectivity, I have a clearly-articulated reason for all decisions I make.
- It is important to have a good sense of humor and maintain a positive mindset, for laughter and a smile can be quite the powerful tool in many situations.
Where I’ve worked:
- RWJBarnabas Health (RWJUH Somerset Campus): Clinical Supervisor of Athletic Training and Wellness (April 2015 – Present)
- Coordinated Health: Athletic Training and Human Performance Supervisor (Oct 2015-March 2016)
- Ryan Stevens Consulting: Independent athletic training coverage, personal fitness and team performance coaching, consulting (July 2015-Sept 2015)
- O-PA! Performance Academy: Vice President, Head Performance Specialist (Sept 2014-June, 2015)
- Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital Somerset: Athletic Trainer/Performance Coach (Feb 2010-Sept 2014)
- Millbrook Orthopedic and Sports Physical Therapy: Athletic Trainer, School Outreach Program Coordinator, Marketing Assistant (Aug 2006-Feb 2010)
- The Culinary Institute of America: Athletic Trainer (Sept 2007-Jan 2010)
- The State University of New York at New Paltz: Assistant Athletic Trainer (Aug 2005-May 2006)
- Ignite Fitness: Personal Fitness Trainer (Aug 2005-Jul 2006)
- Sports Physical Therapy of NY: Head Athletic Trainer – West Genesee High School (Mar-Jun 2005)
- Syracuse University: Graduate Assistant Athletic Trainer (Jan 2004-Mar 2005)
- Chicago Bears: Athletic Training Intern (Jul-Sept 2003)
- Woodward Action Sports Camp: Athletic Training Intern (June 2003)
- Juniata College: Student Athletic Trainer (Aug-Nov 2002)
- Harrisburg Senators Minor League Baseball Club: Intern – Athletic Training/Front Office (May-Aug 2001)
- Penn State University: Student Athletic Trainer –Varsity Athletic Teams, Sports Camps (1999-2003)